Welcome to the New Rattitude Links Page. We appreciate the support given to our rescued Rat Terriers from dog-loving colleagues in the rescue community and the pet resources community at large. Working together to support pets and their owners, we can significantly improve the quality of life of dogs all over the country. On this page you will find a variety of canine community resources endorsed by New Rattitude members. We hope these may be of help and interest to you, whether your dog is a Rat Terrier or another breed.
Scroll down to browse our Resource Listings.
Or use these convenient Quick Access Links to jump to a particular category:
Emergency Info * Medical References * Special Needs Dogs
Training Resources * Pet Supplies * Partnerships * About Rat Terriers * Fun Dog Stuff * Miscellaneous Resources
• Pet Poison Helpline is a 24/7 service available throughout North America for pet owners and veterinary professionals who need assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. Call 800-213-6680.
• ASPCA offers a long list of plants and foods known to be toxic to dogs as well as poison safety tips and FAQ. They also maintain a
Lost and Found Pet Listing Services – There are several national on-line resources to help when you have lost or found a pet. Most have lost/found pet databases you can search, and you can post your own lost/found pet classified ads. Some have lost/found pet posters you can print out, links to Facebook and twitter accounts, fax alerts to shelters and vets, etc. Most of these resources are free, but some may charge a fee.
There is no substitute for the care provided by a licensed veterinarian! But doing some
• Mar Vista Vet offers a very extensive and reliable pet care education website for the community that is highly readable and well illustrated, covering surgeries, diseases, conditions, medications, and vaccinations.
• Blue Pearl has an
• VetInfo.com has a searchable library of articles on various medical topics.
• Speaking For Spot is an excellent health care book that teaches you to become a savvy medical advocate for your dog. Dr. Nancy Kay provides a wealth of dog health care tips and teaches you how to navigate the expensive, complex, and often overwhelming world of veterinary medicine.
• New Rattitude’s Heartworm Library is a good source to learn about heartworm infection, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
• The American Red Cross offers Pet First Aid Classes that teach you what to do when your pet has an emergency.
• The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is a not-for-profit association representing more than 84,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services
• The American Animal Hospital Association, considered to be “The Standard of Veterinary Excellence,” is regarded as a leader in the industry, and their opinions and stance on various topics within veterinary medicine are relied upon by practitioners and teaching hospitals throughout the country. In 2011 AAHA released new guidelines for canine and feline vaccinations, providing a foundational tool for veterinary professionals. These guidelines can be read in their entirety on the AAHA website or a simpler, easy-to-read summary can be found at HealthyPets.org.
• ConsumerAffairs.com compares pet insurance plans and has an interactive tool to help pet owners determine if they could benefit from a pet insurance plan.
• Rattie Weight is a page on this New Rattitude website to help you assess a healthy weight for your Rat Terrier… and do something about it if he or she is overweight, as so many American pets are.
Special Needs Dogs
Do you have a special needs dog? There is help out there! Check out these resources for support, advice, and information:
• Three Legged Dogs: TriPawds – Three-legged dogs resource and help center.
• Handicapped Dogs: HandicappedPets.com – Supporting those who care for
• Blind Dogs: BlindDogs.net – A forum offering support and info to owners of blind or
• Deaf Dogs: DeafDogsRock – A non-profit promoting the care and well-being of deaf dogs.
• Epileptic Dogs: Canine Epilepsy Network – A resource for those concerned with canine epilepsy: owners and breeders of affected dogs, veterinarians, neurologists, and researchers.
• Senior Dogs: The Senior Dogs Project – Lots of info on adopting and caring for a senior dog.
• Victoria Stilwell’s website – Devoted to Positive Dog Training, with advice, articles, episodes of It’s Me Or The Dog, resources, discussion forum, and more.
• Karen Pryor Clicker Training – Everything you need to know about clicker training. • Canine Psychology and Behavior Resources – A great summary of dozens of
• Association of Professional Dog Trainers – Valuable info in choosing a dog trainer and compilation of names and contact info for APDT member trainers.
• Dog Star Daily – A daily magazine with news, blogs, and articles about dog behavior, and a comprehensive digital dog training textbook with everything you need to know about training your puppy or dog.
• Your Dog’s Friend – A non-profit in Rockville, Maryland, with force-free, positive dog training, workshops, and advice.
• In Tune Dogs –
• Canine Country Academy – A training and behavior resource for Gwinnett County and Athens Area Georgia, offering private consults, daycare, day training
• Kathy Sdao Behavior Consultations – Private behavior consultations in Sumner and Gig Harbor, Washington, for help with aggression, separation anxiety, fears and phobias, housetraining, destruction, barking and rough play.
• Think Spot – Seattle Washington’s best, new dog training venue offering group training classes, private training, board & train, and limited boarding.
• University Canine Learning Academy – Spectacular training center offering a big variety of classes in Seattle, Washington.
• Dog Food Advisor – Dog food information, ratings, and reviews.
• New Rattitude ReTail Shop – Variety of toys, treats, and accessories for dogs and their humans.
• Thundershirts – ThunderShirt’s patented design applies a gentle, constant pressure that has a dramatic calming effect for most dogs suffering anxiety from storms, travel, separation, fireworks, etc., without training or medication.
• Kong Toys – Super durable rubber chew toys that keep dogs engaged, reducing destructive chewing on inappropriate items.
• Best Friends Network – Best Friends Animal Society’s network of No Kill partners across the nation.
• Petfinder.com – Promoting, supporting, and facilitating pet adoption.
• PetSmart Charities – Improving the quality of life for all pets by creating and supporting programs that save the lives of homeless pets and promote healthy relationships between people and pets.
About Rat Terriers
• Rat Terrier Jamboree – Annual Rat Terrier get-together in Sweetwater, Tennessee. Promoting fun and fellowship for Ratties and their human and canine families.
• Rat Terrier Club of America – Devoted to full breed recognition of Rat Terriers by the American Kennel Club (AKC), to establish, promote, and preserve the best qualities of the Rat Terrier while maintaining the breed’s original purpose as a working terrier.
• American Kennel Club – Rat Terrier AKC breed standard.
• American Rat Terrier Association – National parent breed club for the Rat Terriers at United Kennel Club (UKC).
Fun Dog Stuff
• Hilarious Dog (and cat) Videos – Bring some laughter to your day!
• Cool Dog Stuff – Gadgets, gizmos, and other cool creative dog products.
• Dog-Friendly Parks, Hotels, Restaurants & Beaches – Explore over 250,000 places to stay, play, and eat with your dog, searchable by zip code.
• Healthy Animal Living – Ending Animal Abuse – An overview on the topic of animal cruelty, including a compilation of websites dealing with animal cruelty issues, such as animal cruelty statistics, how to report animal cruelty, and steps to prevent animal abuse.
• Pet Loss – A gentle and compassionate website for pet lovers who are grieving over the death of a pet or an ill pet. Offers thoughtful advice and links to other pet loss resources such as info on euthanasia/cremation/burial and tribute/memorial sites.
• BringFido – Browse a variety of dog-friendly travel accommodations, services, and attractions around the US and the world!
• People With Pets.com – A directory of apartments, homes, and hotels that accept pets, and a resource for pet-related services and products.
• Renting With Pets
• Whole Dog Journal – Guide to natural dog food, dog care, and dog training, with lots of valuable articles, links, back issue archives, and blog.
• Ahimsa House – Nonprofit corporation dedicated to helping the human and animal victims of domestic violence.
• Animal Welfare Institute – Safe Havens Mapping Project for pets of domestic violence victims, searchable by zip code.
• Pilots N Paws – Facilitating and enabling animals rescue by providing a “meeting place” for those who rescue, shelter or foster animals, and volunteer pilots and plane owners willing to assist with the transportation of animals.
• Internet Chamber of Commerce for Michigan – Lists Pet Boarding specialists along with thousands of other local companies across the industry.
• Reviews.com – The Reviews.com research team compiled a list of 22 pet insurance companies and then selected 12 of the best to review based on 52 pet insurance features.
• Surrendering Your Dog – When you are thinking about surrendering your dog, consider your options and next steps.